In my humble opinion, there’s few things when we think back to the 80s that symbolize that decade of gloriousness more admirably than the movie Dirty Dancing. If you’re between the ages of 30-50 I’m not sure it’s scientifically possible to have not seen this flick. Everybody remembers Patrick Swayze’s legendary“nobody puts baby in the corner” movie line”, the ambitious dance scenes— particularly the Swayze/Jennifer Gray finale.
But for me, Dirty Dancing was all about great music.
Footloose and Flashdance immediately come to mind when discussing classic 80s movie soundtracks—deservedly so. However, don’t sleep on Dirty Dancing . It produced three solid hits: “I’ve Had The Time Of My Life”, “Hungry Eyes” and my personal favorite, “She’s Like The Wind” sung by Swayze.
First and foremost it blew my mind that Patrick f’n Swayze sang. It shouldn’t have, considering the 80s produced an onslaught of TV/movie stars putting out (mostly whack) records: Eddie Murphy, Bruce Willis and Don Johnson among others.
Unlike those guys, I actually thought Swayze sung the hell out of “She’s Like The Wind”.
Forget the fact the song is a cautionary tale for dudes with no self-esteem, as the tune unmistakably is about a guy in love with a girl but knows that she’s too hot for him and thus he’ll never land her. I mean, he literally confesses in inability to look into her eyes cause she’s out of his league. Gotta have some confidence, brah.
Swayze’s self-perception issues aside, this is an outstanding 80s song that I have no shame admitting still gets heavy run on my playlist today.
Chart Success: The third single released from the Dirty Dancing album, it reached as high as number-three on the Billboard Top 100 and stayed on the charts for 21 weeks. It finished 1988 ranked 40th on the year-end Billboard Top 100. Many people are called a one-hit wonder but Swayze was legit. This was his only recording to ever crack the Billboard charts.
Great Lyrics: For the love of God, Patrick—step your game up.
“I feel your breath on my face
Your body close to me
Can’t look in your eyes
Your out of my league
Just a fool to believe
(Just a fool to believe)
She’s like the wind”
Fun Fact: This song wasn’t originally written for Dirty Dancing. According to Songfacts.com this was to be featured in a 1984 movie called “Grandview, USA” (I’ve literally never heard of that). Ultimately it was rejected for the film, making it a lock for me that Grandview, USA sucked. It got greenlight for Dirty Dancing a few years later and the rest was history.
100. Hall & Oates – I Can’t Go For That (No Can D0)
99. Michael McDonald – I Keep Forgetting
97. The Police – Every Little Thing She Does Does Is Magic
96. Madonna – Papa Don’t Preach
94. Cyndi Lauper – Time After Time
93. Kenny Loggins – Danger Zone
92. Peter Gabriel – In Your Eyes
91. Night Ranger – Sister Christian
89. Journey – Don’t Stop Believing
87. Debbie Gibson – Foolish Beat
86. Glen Mederios – Nothing’s Going To Change My Love For You
85. John Cougar – Jack and Diane
81. Billy Squier – Everybody Wants You
80. Debbie Gibson – Only In My Dreams
79. Shelia E. – The Glamorous Life
77. Whitney Houston – Greatest Love Of All
76. Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson – Say Say Say
75. Flock of Seagulls – I Ran (So Far Away)
74. Twisted Sister – We’re Not Gonna Take It
73. Musical Youth – Pass The Dutchie
72. The Police – Every Breathe You Take
71. Survivor – The Search Is Over
70. REO Speedwagon – Keep On Loving You
69. Hall & Oates – You Make My Dreams
68. Bobby Brown – Don’t Be Cruel
67. Kenny Loggins – Meet Me Halfway
66. Irene Cara – Flashdance…What A Feeling
65. Tina Turner – What’s Love Got To Do With It
64. Phil Collins – One More Night